Fire safety is a major cause of concern at workplaces and industrial sites. Corporate offices, factories, warehouses and other commercial establishments are prone to fires due to electrical faults, poor wiring and maintenance, or negligence from the workers. Fire is a silent danger that often spreads unnoticed by untrained individuals who may not be able to recognize the signs and identify the sources of fire in time.
The types of fire extinguishers.
Fire extinguisher is a device used to put out fire. It has different types, and each type is used for a specific purpose. The four types of fire extinguishers are:
- Dry chemical
These types of fire extinguishers can be used on different types of fires. Dry chemical fires are put out by using dry chemical powder, water is used to put out electrical fires, CO2 works best on grease and oil fires, and foam works well on combustible liquids such as petroleum based products and cooking oils.
How to use a portable fire extinguisher.
Portable fire extinguishers are designed for use on small fires. They can be used in homes and workplaces, as well as vehicles.
Before using a portable fire extinguisher, you should be familiar with:
- The correct type of fire extinguisher for the kind of fire you’re dealing with
- How to use your extinguisher effectively
- Where to stand when fighting a fire (in some situations, it’s best to back away from the fire)
To use a portable fire extinguisher:
- Make sure the area around the fire is clear of any flammable objects that could be damaged by water and other chemicals used in the extinguisher (such as furniture or paper)
- Stand at least 10 feet away from the base of the flames, then direct the nozzle towards them and squeeze the lever quickly but steadily until they go out.
Understanding the PASS method.
The ‘PASS’ method is the most common way to classify different types of fires. It stands for ‘P’ause, A’void smoke and fumes, ‘S’cout the situation, and ‘S’pray or ‘D’ouse according to the situation. If a fire occurs in your home or place of business and you follow this method correctly, then you’ll be able to extinguish it quickly and safely.
Training in how to use a fire extinguisher will prepare you for any emergency.
Fire extinguishers are a crucial tool for any workplace, and knowing how to use them properly can be the difference between life and death. If you work in a building that has a fire extinguisher, it’s important to understand how to use one.
Knowing how and when to use fire extinguishers can save lives. Diamond Protection Training offers the following workplace safety training courses to help you and your workplace: